How Walking can Help you Lower your Blood Pressure and Strengthen your Heart

13 Comments

Walking has all sorts of health benefits!! Among them are the ability to help lower your blood pressure and strengthen your heart.

Many people at risk for stroke and heart disease are overweight, unhealthy and have a hard time exercising. Thankfully walking is an easy, low-impact workout that almost anyone can do.

How to start?

Just put on your shoes and head out there. If all you can do is walk for five to ten minutes, start there. It’s a great start and that’s a lot more exercise than you’ve been getting. Stick with it for a week and then see if you can make it for 15 minutes.

If you can go for 30 minute walk, start there. Pick up the pace, walk briskly and after a week or two, try to go for 45 minute walks. Try to break up your walking workout into 3 shorter sessions  throughout your day.

What if I have health conditions?

If you have any health conditions in particular, if you’re suffering from high blood pressure and are at risk for heart disease, discuss your walking plans with your doctor. The two of you can come up with a plan that’s appropriate and safe for you

The benefits of walking…

Getting out and walking will help you on several different levels. The act of walking itself, particularly if you can go for a walk out in a pretty park is very relaxing and will lower your blood pressure soon after the walk. That’s a terrific benefit of walking and something that will help you feel better right away.

But the benefits don’t stop there

Walking will strengthen your heart. Remember your heart is a muscle and going for a brisk walk works out more than your leg muscles. As you work out your heart, it gets stronger and better at pumping blood through your body.  As you strengthen your muscles and your body overall, you are likely losing body fat. That’s good news for your blood pressure long term.

All it takes is heading out there for a short little walk each day. As you get stronger those walks will get longer and you may even give swimming or running a try!!

In Conclusion…

We know healthy diet, regular exercise, and losing weight are some of the most effective ways to reduce blood pressure.. Add to that the fact that walking helps you destress and it’s no wonder that walking regularly has such beneficial effects on your health.

Ready to get started?

Put on your walking shoes and go for that first walk!!

Where’s your favorite place to walk?

Do you like to walk alone or with a friend?

Share the ❤

Much Love,

Michele

13 thoughts on “How Walking can Help you Lower your Blood Pressure and Strengthen your Heart”

1. Lucy says:

As someone who is extremely passionate about the mental and physical benefits of walking, I really enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing 🙂

2. Angie says:

Great to see the benefits of walking being shared. I enjoy walking and look forward to longer walks now the weather is cooling down.

1. Michele says:

Hi Angie, I love it also! Thanks for commenting!?

3. Maureen says:

Walking is a fantastic option for almost everyone! Though often overlooked, it’s a great way to boost health and wellness. Thanks for the post!

1. Michele says:

Hi Maureen, You are absolutely right! I just came in from a walk, what a great day! Thank you for commenting!?

Michele~Midlife Mirror

4. Such a great post. I love strength training, however I do love my walks! 🙂 So peaceful in the early morning.

1. Michele says:

Hi Amanda, Strength training is also great exercise! Thanks for commenting!?

Michele~Midlife Mirror

5. Serena says:

This is great! My mom tries to go walking with her friend a few times a week since they both suffered from high blood pressure at some point. I try to walk as much as I can to avoid feeling stagnant during the day.

1. Michele says:

Hi Serena, Good for your mom! I also like walking with my friend, it’s a great time to gossip and catch up! ? Thanks for commenting!

Michele~Midlife Mirror

6. Christine says:

I love this! So simple and achievable by everyone. I love walking outside even if it is only to the local shop. I think there are strong mental health benefits too. Thanks!

1. Michele says:

Hi Christine,isn’t that the truth, it makes me feel free and less stressed! It’s great mentally and physically! Thanks for commenting!?

Michele~Midlife Mirror

7. Corinne says:

This is so true! My dad used to suffer from high blood pressure quite often when we were younger. He’s even had a couple of mild strokes because of it. Then his doctor recommended walking. Now he walks everywhere and hasn’t had an episode for such a long time.

1. Michele says:

Corinne! Great news! So proud of your dad, it’s not always easy to follow drs orders,but i am so happy he did! Good for him! Walking makes me feel free along with the other health benefits! It’s a win, win! Thanks for sharing!❤

Michele~Midlife Mirror