15 Tips to Improve Insomnia and Sleep Peacefully Through the Night

21 Comments

Insomnia is one of the most commonly reported sleep problems in Midlife Women…

What is insomnia?

Insomnia is a common sleep disorder. It is defined as an inability to go to sleep, waking up too early, or feeling unrested after sleep for at least three nights a week for at least three months. Most adult women need to get at least eight hours of sleep a night to feel rested.

Insomnia can make it difficult to accomplish routine tasks like going to work and taking care of yourself or others.

What are the symptoms of insomnia?

The most common symptom of insomnia is difficulty sleeping — either going to sleep, staying asleep, or waking up too early. If you have insomnia, you may:

Lie awake for a long time without going to sleep

Wake up during the night and find it difficult to go back to sleep

Not feel rested when you wake up

Lack of sleep may cause other symptoms during the daytime. For example, you may have low energy during the day. It can also cause you to feel anxious, depressed, or irritable, and you may have a hard time concentrating or remembering things.

It can be difficult to change everyday habits, but if you can stick with some of these changes, you might be able to improve your sleep…

15 tips to improve insomnia and sleep peacefully through the night

Try to go to sleep at the same time each night or when you get sleepy.

Try to get up at the same time each morning, regardless of how well you slept.

Do not nap longer than 30 minutes or anytime between 3 p.m. and bedtime.

Go outside every day for at least 15 to 20 minutes. The natural light will help you get into a natural pattern of sleeping.

Before bedtime, try to avoid bright, artificial light from computer screens, mobile phones, or televisions. Do not allow electronic devices in the bedroom.

Follow a regular, relaxing routine at the same time each night when you get ready for bed.

Go to bed only after winding down and when you are ready to sleep.

Do not read in bed, listen to music, or do other activities that engage your mind and can keep you awake.

Keep your bedroom dark, quiet, and cool for sleeping.

Use a sleep mask or light-blocking curtains.

Use earplugs, a fan, or a white noise machine or app on your phone to block out sounds.

Do not drink alcohol or caffeine or use nicotine for at least five hours before bedtime.

Get regular physical activity during the daytime. Exercise or physical activity close to bedtime, can make it harder to fall asleep.

Do not eat heavy meals or drink a lot of liquids two to three hours before bed.

If you still cannot sleep after about 15 minutes of getting into bed and turning out the light, get out of bed and do something relaxing until you feel sleepy.

Please see a doctor if the problem becomes severe enough and you have tried everything! Your health and well-being is very important!

Much Love,

Michele

womenshealth.gov (2019)

21 thoughts on “15 Tips to Improve Insomnia and Sleep Peacefully Through the Night”

1. jody says:

These are some great tips thank you for sharing. I think a lot of us deal with loosing sleep.

1. Michele says:

Hi Jody, your welcome for the tips! I do believe we have all suffered from some sort of insomnia in our lives! Thanks for commenting!?

2. Samantha says:

Thanks so much for sharing these tips! I’ve struggled with insomnia off and on almost my whole life. I’ve found that listening to an audiobook I’m very familiar with is super helpful in allowing me to relax. Gives me just enough to focus my mind on that my thoughts don’t go spinning off in every direction and most nights I can drift off within about half an hour.

3. Charlene says:

I have gotten into a bad habit since the quarantine of napping which messes up my sleep at night. I have to try and limit the time.

4. Shana says:

I’m going to try all of this. Insomnia has been an on and off battle for years. I’m currently not on meds but I have been on them before.

5. CrazyFitnessGuy says:

Sleep is so important especially in the winter months.

1. Michele says:

Your absolutely right! Thanks for commenting!?

6. I love these tips! It’s so important to have a routine and go to sleep every night. And I love your idea of spending more time outside. That artificial light from tech can really mess with our brains!

1. Michele says:

Thank you Monica! I appreciate you commenting!?

7. I am a night owl and I come from a family of night owls. Going to sleep seems so easy but I just can’t shut off in a reasonable hour so I am always tired. I am so going to try and apply a few of these tips. Thank you so much.

1. Michele says:

Hi Madi, I was a night owl also until I had no choice but to get on a reg schedule! These def helped me, hope they help you! There is such a great feeling getting up refreshed first thing in the morning with a good nights sleep! Thanks for commenting!?

8. Marianna says:

Awsome post Michele! Great tips, especially taking a nap for 30 min. Thanks for sharing!!!

9. Bailey says:

I struggle all the time with sleeping. Thanks for the insomnia tips!

1. Michele says:

Your very welcome! Hope they help! Thanks for commenting!

10. Beth says:

These are all great tips! Insomnia can cause so many health problems, it’s important to get it under control – thanks for sharing this information!

1. Michele says:

Thanks for commenting Beth!?

11. Louise says:

These tips are great! Definitely something I need to work on. Thanks for sharing

1. Michele says:

Your welcome! Thanks for commenting!?

12. It’s really an informative post for most of the people.Here i learn many things about Insomnia and most important how can be cured.
    Insomnia can be cured naturally without medication also. For more – http://dixithealthlearning.com/dietary-habits/how-to-treat-insomnia-naturally-without-medication/

1. Michele says: